Stories and insight in the world of showbiz and beyond.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

THE MANSION OF MYSTERY'S MOTHER OF ALL CONTESTS

Here's a little contest to see if all you CSI-bred TV sleuths are as good at solving crimes as you think you are. If you just tuned in to the blog, I created a radio show back in the 70s titled Mansion of Mystery. Two minutes of the mystery, a break, and then, solving of the crime. I've posted two of these mysteries already. However, I also posted the solution. This time you are only going to run the first part; the crime itself with a hidden clue.

The first person to post a comment with the correct clue leading to the solution of the crime will win a personally signed copy of my book "Stuff Happens."

I will also award a signed copy of the book to another clue solver. Who that will be is a mystery in itself. I will be a random selection from the list of posts. So if you think that someone else got the clue, you could still win.

May the best sleuth win.


THE STATUE OF DEATH
c BLT Productions 1975-2007
All Rights Reserved

ANNOUNCER

It’s time for Mansion of Mystery

SOUND: HERNIATED WOLF HOWL

Time for another hideous crime that you the listeners are invited to solve. The clues, though not always apparent, are there. To find them you must listen very carefully. Today we present, “The Statue of Death.”

SOUND: THUNDER

The scene is the stately mansion of the industrial giant Horley Beanary. Mr. Beanary’s wife is lying dead on the richly appointed bedroom floor. Standing around the body are three people. Horley Beanary, Teddy Rosewell, Horley’s business partner, and Inspector Thomlason of the homicide division of the Newporter Police Department. Inspector Thomlason speaks.

INSPECTOR

All right Mr. Beanary. I know this is a difficult moment for you, but would you tell me what you know about this dreadful crime.

BEANARY

Well, all the lights were out in the house last night when I heard a scuffling. I jumped out of bed to investigate and saw someone dash from my wife’s room and race down stairs.

INSPECTOR

What did you do, Beanary?

BEANARY

Well, I gave chase. This vicious intruder ran onto the back porch where we keep a light burning and in the light, I recognized Teddy Rosewell here. He was the one running.

ROSEWELL

That’s a lie!

INSPECTOR

Quiet Mr. Rosewell. Continue Beanary.

BEANARY

Rosewell ran and he threw something away. It struck several times on the rocky slopes in the ravine, marking its path in the darkness with a series of little sparks.

INSPECTOR

Well, Mr. Rosewell. It looks like you’re in a lot of trouble. Mr. Beanary was able to lead us right to the spot of the dropped object and we found this bronze statuette. The blood and the hair found on the base match Mrs. Beanary’s and we found one good print of your forefinger near the top.

ROSEWELL

Wait a minute. I wasn’t even near the house last night. I stayed in my apartment all night. As for the fingerprints, well, I’ve touched that statuette many times while visiting the Beanary’s. I’m innocent I tell you. I’m innocent. I’m innocent …I'M INNOCENT!

INSPECTOR

Calm down Rosewell. Be a man. Actually you’re both suspects. My problem is to find out whose story holds up. Who’s telling the truth; because the one who is lying killed Mrs. Beanary.

SOUND: THUNDER

ANNOUNCER

Well sleuths. Did Beanary really see Rosewell throw the statue down the ravine? Is Rosewell’s fingerprint on the statue just an innocent coincidence? Which one is lying? We’ll help you with the solution in our next posting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BREAK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to work sleuths

Remember your answer must be posted in the comment section. Do not email me directly. Not fair.

Turn over your papers and begin.

Stay tuned

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:42 PM

 
Blogger Gary said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:29 AM

 
Blogger Lloyd Thaxton said...

Hi Mouse Cliquers:

Don't be surprised at the fact that the first two comments have been "removed by the blog administrator." The "Blog administrator" is ME!

This contest thing is a new idea and in the testing stage. It isn't fair when a person sees what the others have submitted. Stops the game. We do have a winner which I will tell later. However, the game is still on for the another winner picked at random.

I will look at any new comment, record it, and then remove it, hopefully before too many people see it.

If you did see one of the first two, there is still a prize to be won. So get in there sleuths.

As I said this is an experiment. Great blogging fun, you might say.

Or ... then again ... you might not.

Lloyd

9:22 AM

 
Blogger Gary said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:28 PM

 
Blogger Lloyd Thaxton said...

Two more comments deleted by me so the rest of you will not see their answers.

I'll run this contest for a couple more days. There is still one winning prize left.

Lloyd (the contest wizard)

P.S. It is quite possible that Blog Contests suck.

4:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"P.S. It is quite possible that Blog Contests suck."

HA, HA, HA!

God love you Lloyd you are honest and funny!!!

Maybe this mystery series needs to be presented in it's intended format: Radio. I'm sure you'd have lots of posting of answers then. Is it possible for you to post the mysterys as MP3 ?

Art

8:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:49 PM

 
Blogger Lloyd Thaxton said...

Just a reminder that I AM reading and recording the "comments deleted." I will announce the winners soon.

I did not delete Arthur's comment as it was not an answer to the contest.

And besides, HA, HA, HA!, Arthur made ME laugh.

Lloyd

2:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lloyd ; Off subject here but have you seen Wil Smiths new movie " The Pursuit of HappYness " ? I wonder if the person who wrote the screenplay read your book prior 'cause STUFF HAPPENED to Wil in the movie ,however , he stood tall and turned things around ! Great movie .

Jim

8:36 PM

 
Blogger Lloyd Thaxton said...

Alert the media!!!!!!!

Tomorrow I post the conclusion of the latest Mansion of Mystery episode, "Statue of Death."

And, the winners of the contest.

There is still time to enter.

Inspector Thomlason

10:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home