Stories and insight in the world of showbiz and beyond.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

AND THE GOLDEN GLOBE GOES TO ... THE GOLDEN GLOBES


Monday night the Golden Globes Award Show held the winning hand. A full house with two Queens on top.

I liked this Show. Why? Because it was so honest. It never claimed to be a show. There was no comedian host with a lot of “in” jokes. There were no dance numbers, singers or dramatized interruptions. The purpose wasn’t to entertain the home audience. The purpose was to give out awards. And, let you watch.

It was in actuality a TV reality show; a bunch of people announcing and handing out awards to a bunch of other people. Followed by people thanking everyone for announcing and handing out awards. It showed you what really happens when you get a lot of movie and TV stars in the same room saying good things about each other. Being thankful that they were so lucky.

And, that’s why I liked it so much. This is why I tune into an awards show; to see who wins and how they handle it. Do they cry, gloat, joke, lose their memory or stumble and fall down the stairs? It’s live and anything can happen. Not a script in sight except, of course, for those little thank-you notes held so tightly in each winner’s hands. You can’t help but think of all the notes, still clutched in hands that never got read.

I liked this show because there were so many REAL celebrities. Hard working show folks having a good time. No celebrity wanabes. Paris Hilton was a noticeable no-show.

I also liked Helen Mirren winning for “The Queen.” What a class act she is. I wanted Kiefer Sutherland to win for “24,” but I was glad for “Ugly Betty.” She was so beautiful.

Warren Beatty went on a little too long but his expertise has never been public speaking. I liked him because he made great films and I liked his attitude. There are too many smooth talkers around anyway.

I was extremely happy when it was over. Not because it was over, but because it showed how nice show people can be.

Everyone was having a great time and I was there to see it.

Stay tuned.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike Barer said...

Have you ever been to the Oscars? That would make a nice story if you had. As far as Golden Globe, I always thought it funny that it covers both TV and Movies. Why not music and stage?

1:02 PM

 
Blogger cactusflower said...

DEAR MR. THAXTON,
OH MY GOSH...IS THIS REALLY YOU???
I MENTION YOU IN CONVERSATION AT LEAST TWICE A YEAR AND PEOPLE JUST STARE AT ME. I WAS ABOUT 6-7 YEARS OLD AND WE LIVED IN CULVER CITY (MY AUNT IDA KOVERMAN WAS L.B. MEYERS PERSONAL SECRETARY FOR MANY YEARS. ONCE IN AWHILE MY MOM WOOD NEED TO RUN TO THE STORE AND WOULD HAVE THE GIRL NEXT DOOR, A TEENAGER, TO BABYSIT US. I WOULD GET SO MAD BECAUSE SHE WANTED TO WATCH 'THE LLOYD THAXTON SHOW' INSTEAD OF LETTING ME WATCH CARTOON. AT MY YOUNG AGE, YOUR SHOW COULD NOT POSSIBLY WIN OUT OVER THE MICKEY MOUSE CLUB OR CARTOON...JEEZ. BUT I WOULD START WATCHING YOUR SHOW WITH HER AND I WAS HOOKED. SHE AND I WOULD DANCE AROUND THE DEN AND HAVE A GREAT TIME. I WISH I COULD TELL YOU THIS LED TO A FAB DANCE CAREER, BUT, ALAS, NO...SIGH. BUT WHAT I DO HAVE ARE GREAT MEMORIES. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOME OF THE OLD SHOWS. ARE THERE ANY PLANS TO BRING THEM OUT ON DVD??? LET ME KNOW.
THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES, VIKKI MCALLISTER

9:16 PM

 
Blogger Gary said...

Vikki, YES, it's really him! I hope you can tune into www.topshelfoldies.com on Sat. night (Jan. 27) and tune into Dave The Rave's show. Lloyd will be interviewed by Dave at 11 pm EASTERN TIME. Hopefully he will have some good news about a possible DVD release.
Hope you (and everybody else) will tune in! Dave will be giving out a phone number for people to call in, too.
Gary

8:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home