Stories and insight in the world of showbiz and beyond.

Monday, March 26, 2007

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!


In my last posting, "King Kong vs Godzilla," I took up the issue of the Viacom vs YouTube's one-billion dollar law suit. This is an important issue to anyone who, not only enjoys watching creative (expensive to produce) television, but also wants to continue to be able to listen to their favorite music via CDs and iPod devices. Though many people visited my blog, there was only one comment posted to the "Kong" blog. An indication as to how few people really give a damn.
The one comment was from loyal fan, Mike Barer, who wrote, "Your video with Marvin Gaye got pulled. That is unfortunate, but glad I could enjoy it." Many thanks to Mike for taking the time to post his thoughts.

As I do give a damn, here is my comment to Mike:
The reason the Marvin Gaye video got pulled was because it was taken from a Marvin Gaye Documentary and downloaded to YouTube to be viewed illegally for FREE. This is not fair play. The producers of the documentary had paid dearly for the use of the clip and paid all the required license fees to the publishers of the music.

This is nice for the viewers of YouTube, but hard on the producers and the estate of Marvin Gaye, who not only spent many dollars for usage rights, but many hours producing and merchandising the DVD. This is a very expensive process. Why would one pay for view if they can see it free.

I'm sure there isn't one viewer of YouTube clips that would like to go to work each day and not get paid for their time, creativity, and efforts.

Like you, I enjoyed looking at the Lloyd Thaxton Show Marvin Gaye clip myself. Good promotion for my own future DVD, but at the same time, bad for people trying to make a living in the music and DVD business. YouTube and the holders of the copyrights have to get together and figure out a reasonable-cost way to solve this problem.

Stay tuned.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

I totally agree that the two sides should figure something out. Yes, the Marvin Gaye clip was posted from a commercial product, but how many people saw that clip and went out to buy that product? I bet you some did. I know that I have seen some clips on You Tube that I wanted for my collection, so I wrote to the people who posted the clip to find out where they got it from so I could go get my own copy. I didn't ask them for a copy, I went out and got my own. Maybe I'm in the minority there, I don't know.
One clip in particular is SUKIYAKI by Kyu Sakamoto. I wrote to the poster and he told me that the clip came from a DVD that was put out in Japan only, so I found out the company who put it out and got the DVD. Funny thing is, that was the only good clip on the whole DVD but I didn't care, I wanted that one clip and I got it! But I never would have known about it if it hadn't been for You Tube.
Something HAS to be worked out....
NEXT!
Gary

4:55 PM

 
Blogger Mike Barer said...

Wow, Lloyd watching you in the living room of our old house on Leonard Street in Walla Walla, I had no idea that you would write about me someday. Seriously, I do see your point, it just seems like those little short clips can benefit the copywriter. The person putting them on You Tube is generally not gaining anything commercially.
If it gets too bad, You Tube can go back to showing birthday parties and Bar Mitzvah. I'm sure that will be compelling!

8:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THE MARVIN GAYE CLIP SHOULD NOT BE AIRED ON: YOUTUBE.com FOR FREE. IT IS NOT FAIR TO THE MARVIN GAYE ESTATE. AND TO MR. LLOYD THAXTON!. YOU GUY's ARE GETTING RIPPED-OFF TWICE. I HAVE THAT MARVIN CLIP ON YOUR SHOW. ON HIS DVD, AND THE CLIP IS WONDERFUL. GREAT VIDEO QUALITY AND COLOR. I HOPE YOU WILL DO A SPECIAL MOTOWN DVD. OF THE ARTISTS: SUPREMES/DIANA, MARVIN, MARTHA & VANDELLAS, MARVELETTES, STEVIE, 4-TOPS, TEMPTATIONS. ON YOUR SHOW?!, IN THE NEAR FUTURE. THANK YOU MR. THAXTON PHILLIP HOWELL.

8:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home