Stories and insight in the world of showbiz and beyond.

Monday, September 11, 2006

THE 2006 BABY BOOMER TOP 40

OK, the list of songs for The 2006 Baby Boomer Top Forty are in. We had a great turnout for this. The Mouse Cliquers came through with songs that REALLY relate to Baby Boomers today. Thank you, you can all go back to your day jobs now. I've listed the songs as they would appear today. Just in case you are not really that hip to the sounds of the 60s, I put the 60's version of the lyrics in parenthesis.

I wanted to pay tribute to my friend and one of the best radio DJs in the world, The Real Don Steele. If The Lloyd Thaxton Rock & Roll Road Show Time Machine could go back and bring Don into the future, he would be the one I would ask to make this announcement. Even though Boss Radio at the time featured The Top 30, I know Don would gladly add the next ten to complete THE 2006 BABY BOOMER TOP FORTY

40. The Beatles – I Want To Hold Your Cane (hand)

39. The Turtles – Guide For The Divorced Man (married man)

38. Bobby Daren – Splish Splash, I Was Having A Flash (a bath)

37. The Yardbirds – Heart Full Of Burn (full of soul)

36, Jonathan King – Everyone’s Gone To The Bathroom (to the moon)

35. The Rolling Stones – Let’s Spend The Nap Together (the night)

34. The Electric Prunes – I Had Too Much Metamucil To Drink Last Night (too much to drink)

33. Marvin Gaye – I Heard It Through The Grapenuts (grapevine

32. Ray Charles – Geritol On My Mind (Georgia on my mind)

31. Righteous Brothers – You’ve Lost That Close-up Seein’ (lovin’ feelin’)

30. Helen Ready – I Am Woman, Hear Me Snore (hear me roar)

29. Nancy Sinatra – This Walker Was Made For Bootin’ (boots made for walkin')

28. Johnny Nash – I Can’t See Clearly Now (I can see clearly)

27. Bobby Fuller Four – I Fought The Mother-In-Law (fought the law)

26. Commodores – Once, Twice, Three Times To The Bathroom (three times a lady)

25. The Animals - We Gotta Get Outta This Old Folks Home (out of this place)

24. Young Rascals – I Ain’t Gonna Eat Without My Dentures Anymore (eat out my heart)

23. The Marvelettes – Don’t Mess With My Medicare Bill (my Bill)

22. Roberta Flack – The First Time I Ever Forgot Your Face (Saw your face)

21. Manfred Mann – The Mighty Squint (Quinn)

20. Jackie Wilson – Fiber And Fiber (higher and higher)

19. Paul Revere And The Raiders – Vicks (kicks)

18. Paul Simon – 50 Ways To Lose Your Liver (lover)

17. Tony Orlando – Knock Three Times On The Ceiling If You Hear Me Fall (if you want me)

16. Peter Frampton – Baby, I Love Your Toupee (love your way)

15. Otis Redding – Sitting At The Docs With My Pay (on the dock with my pay)

14. Leo Sayer – You Make Me Feel Like Napping (dancing)

13. The Stones – 19th Hip Replacement (19th nervous breakdown)

12. The Jam – Jam Up And Poli-Grip Tight (jelly tight)

11. The Bee Gees – How Can You Mend A Broken Hip (broken heart)

10. Simon And Garfunkel – Bridge Over Troubled Dentures (waters)

9. Donny Osmond – Go Away, Middle-Aged Girl (little girl)

8. Mamas And The Papas – Leisure World Dreamin’ (California dreaming)

7. Marty Robins – El Pepto (El Paso)

6. Ringo Starr – I Get By With A Little Help From Depends (from my friends)

5. Beach Boys – Calistoga Girls (California girls)

4. Bobby Darin – Artificial Hearts (flowers)

3. Herman’s Hermits – Mrs. Brown You’ve Got A Lovely Walker (lovely daughter)

2. Leslie Gore – I Don’t Wanna Be A Snoozer (loser)

1. Willy Nelson – On The Throne Again (road again)

Stay tuned.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!
I've always LOVED going to the record store every Friday to see what the Top 40 list was! I wish I saved those surveys *sigh*. We had some great local DJ's. My all-time favorite was Dr. Don Rose. He left here for Atlanta then moved on to San Francisco. I believe he died in recent years.....a little of my childhood died with him. Other great jocks from the area were Tac Hammer, Dave Duluth, Tyger Tym, Lew Latto, Sky Stewart and a fellow by the name of Dave Dudley who found another successful career in music. *wink*

Gary

5:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lloyd !!! Wow ! What a great Baby Boomer Top forty !!! and You are right about The Real Don Steele being the best Top Forty DJ EVER !!!! In fact , I'm listening to a Real Don Steele Sound Check RIGHT NOW !!! He made BOSS ANGELES ...BOSS ......!!! and remember that crazy screaming teeny bopper on his show who yelled " Tina Delgado is ALIVE ALIVE !!!!!" .....LOL...KHJ RULED the LA airwaves......and of course YOU ruled L.A TV !!!!

Jim

10:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I am John Bush, Carson High School, Summer 1966. I was a student guest on your show less than six times, it must be 4 0r 5.

I am now a lawyer in Hemet, California, admitted to practice law in 1976. But I went on with Billy Kelso, and Ross Costly and Warner Weir, Gregg Heath, I believe, and others,

But what I remember is that we went on with our female friends at San Pedro High School, and I don't mean hanky panky, but I think it had something to do with the way these guys from Carson and Banning danced with these girls at San Pedro High School. Or, why was it that I distinctly remember being at your show but that the sexes from the different high schools were mixed. I mean was this an anomaly or what were you doing at thee time?

Anyway, you have enriched my life and to know you have this blog is the coolest. I really wish you well, I saw the Supremes in person right in front of my face on your show, THANK YOU!!

John Bush
Hemet, California

9:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home