Stories and insight in the world of showbiz and beyond.

Monday, August 07, 2006

I was just KIDDING !!!

Before you scroll down to my new blog posting, “GOOGLE THIS,” I feel compelled to make the following declaration: “What we've got here is failure to communicate!”

That statement is from the movie “Cool Hand Luke” and is one of the most quoted lines in film. As I remember, it was said by actor Strother Martin, Captain of the prison guards, to Paul Newman just before he hit him over the head with a stick (he needed to get his attention).

“Failure to communicate.” I think I might have failed in my blog posting of “The Fat Cat.” I had suggested that in order to cure the nation’s spreading (pun intended) obesity epidemic, Girl Scouts might consider changing their annual Girl Scout COOKIE campaign to selling Girl Scout SALADS instead.

I now believe that my quirky sense of humor got the best of me and I erred on the side of what one might call, “pursuing a dumb idea.” Judging from the underwhelming amount of comments I have received (would you believe one?), I think that some of you took me a little bit too serious. Example: I received one email that explained in detail how selling salads outside in the heat of a supermarket parking lot was next to IMPOSSIBLE. The lettuce would wilt, etc., etc.

Or… the “failure” could have been the picture I used to introduce “The Fat Cat.” If that is so, I really can’t understand it. That happens to be my favorite picture of me. It was taken off the air by a fan while I was doing a special effects routine while lip-syncing the Al Hirt trumpet rendition of “Hello Dolly.” And, it is also my daughter Jennifer’s favorite picture of me. She displayed it prominently on her dorm dresser when she was away at school. When classmates asked who that person was, she proudly told them, “MY DAD!” Please scroll down and take another look at that picture. The beauty of it is in the beholder. And I would be beholding to you if you would give it a second chance.

All that said, I promise that I will never write again about weird thoughts I conjure up in the shower (highly considered as my best idea place). This communication failure not only caught me with my pants down, it verified the fact that I might have been just a little bit wet behind the ears.

Please let me know what you REALLY want me to write about on this blog and I will meekly comply. Like I do all of my singing, I will keep the funny stuff for the sound-around-sound of my drip-filled shower: me, judging from the response, being the biggest drip of them all.

Stay tuned.

Eh … how about Girl Scout fat-free Pastas?

7 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

I don't care what you say, Mr. T, I STILL think the salad idea is a great one! I wanna hear more of your wet, errrr, great ideas!
Gary

7:56 PM

 
Blogger Gaylel said...

Hey, consumerism need new ideas--I agree with Gary, keep those ideas coming there...

8:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what famous person made the comment about "You can please some of the people some of the time.... but not all the people all the time"... take a grain of salt add it to the spoil sports that can't take a joke.

But with a portable refrigerator it's still a workable idea. :-) Don't let one small voice spoil the whole fruit basket.

Your wit is now and always a welcome replacement to all the hard head cases who never developed a sense of humor.

later
Robert V

2:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree, that those of us who "know" your humor, also knew your comments were tongue in cheek.

That being said, how about some Girl Scout non-fat-non-sweetened-low-calorie-low-cholesterol-low-carb cookies? With our current technology, surely we can have our cookies and eat them too!

Of course, they'll probably taste like you-know-what, but still...

I hope you keep your ideas coming. If folks were truly upset over the GS comments, maybe you should have another more tame blog for those comments. Maybe their comments were also made with their tongues firmly planted in their cheeks? I hope so. You know how we Californians are, and you know how we love to speak (our tongues in our cheeks, of course).

I'd like to hear more of your stories of the show biz folk. In particular, some good ones of things that happened on your show, or behind the scenes.

Please keep 'em comin', unedited. IMHO, we all need to lighten up more, not less.

Anybody else want to join me in a nice Girl Scout Salad?

3:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lloyd!
Just wanted you to know that I read all your blogs and really enjoy them. Got a kick out of the Girl Scout salad idea. I was going to suggest little, bitty GS cookies to take the place of croutons so we could all have a slow waithdrawal from the cookies. I've known how funny you are and have been all these years. You sure provided me with hours of laughs back in the 40's! Wow! We're getting old!!

Love & Laughs from possibly your first record director.

"Sylvania Sve. Jane"

11:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no idea who you are. I was doing a search on google and came across your link. As a brownie mom...I dread these sales and the extra pounds I put on. I laughed so hard and thought..."what a great idea"! I understood it to be a joke and have no idea how someone may have thought otherwise! Funny guy.

2:53 PM

 
Anonymous Rebecca said...

Nice post thanks for shharing

9:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home