Stories and insight in the world of showbiz and beyond.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

WE GET LETTERS, STACKS AND STACKS ...

MY WIFE BARBARA READING COMMENTS

Perry Como used to sing: "Letters, we get letters. We get stacks and stacks of letters. Dear Perry, would you be so kind, and fulfill our request, and sing the song we like best. " If you have to ask, "Who's Perry Como?" then ... don't ask.

It was 1956, almost a decade before The Lloyd Thaxton Show, but I remember those words so clearly. They announced the segment on the Perry Como Show that acknowledged the many letters he received for requests. I always looked forward to this segment.

As a matter of fact, I remember saying to myself at the time, "If ever I get a blog on the Internet, I'm going to have a letter acknowledgement section of my own." That shows you how foresighted I was back in the 50s.

It's a known fact that more people read blogs than take the time to write a comment. But when they do, it means a lot to me. On one past blog, I had asked the question, "Who would want to buy a Lloyd Thaxton Show DVD?" Here are just a few of the many comments I received. You have no idea how great they made me feel.

Are you ready? Everybody sing: "Comments, we get comments. We get stacks and stacks of comments. Dear Lloydie, would you be so kind and fulfill our requests and lip-sync the song we like the best."

5:21 PM
Blogger Gary said...

Trust me, Lloyd, there ARE enough fans out there still! I'm a serious collector of old footage and I know MANY that are like me PLUS I know plenty of casual collectors as well and then there's the average joe who would buy the dvd because they just plain remember you and have fond memories of the show! They would buy a dvd just to see if they could see themselves on it or somebody they know. The musical guest would just be frosting on the cake. The time is NOW, Lloyd, before the baby boomers are gone!

Gary

9:49 PM
Anonymous said...

Hi, Lloyd! Really enjoy your website and your very entertaining anecdotes. Count me in as someone would love to own a Lloyd Thaxton DVD. Why not advertise on Classmates.com? I'm sure 1960's grads would snatch it up. Sue

9:46 AM
Blogger Robert V. said...

hey lloyd. I'm there with my $$ to buy a lloyd thaxton DVD.

7:07 PM
Anonymous said...

I remember many bits from the show: "Swami Says", "Don't Lose Your Marbles", L-O-N-E-L-Y, Lip-sync greeting cards, "Summer Wind" with all kinds of garbage blowing at you, marvelous! How did you ever think up those things?

I can't wait to buy the DVD!

8:54 AM
Anonymous said...

I hope you do put out a DVD I would like to have one, it would go with one of my favourite sites reelradio.


11:46 PM
Blogger Ol'Rocker said...

Hey Lloyd, listen to these boomers- get your DVD on the market NOW. Make the old ad men eat brass...

7:55 AM
Anonymous zmudville said...

Funny how it all works. I would bet that "Lloyd Thaxton" never, ever, not one time entered my mind from about 1969 till just the other day. All of a sudden for whatever reason I'm googling the name and whaddayaknow: you're not dead yet! (And I mean that in a good way.)

Even before I started reading your blog I remembered parts of your show: cool guests (who cared if they were lip-synching), the lip-synch contests, your "instrument-synching" (when you were banging on piano keys to someone else's record you never missed a note). I was 15 in '65, growing up in Chicago. Your afternoon show was a little after-school party for me every day.

But I had totally forgotten Dawk, fergodsake! And I used to draw him in my school notebooks, writing "Dawk rules!" in his little sign!

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for still being alive, keep up the blog and count me as someone interested in your CD if that project comes together.

8:32 AM
Anonymous Josh Jacobs said...

I was born in 1972 and have read Bill Earl's book Dream House and am currently reading Ben Fong Torres' book on Top 40 radio. I loved the characters you created on Fight Back with David Horowitz. The one I best remember is Dr. Webly Frion (I probably didn't spell it right). I'd love to buy the DVD of the Lloyd Thaxton show.

5:04 AM
Anonymous Frank Monzo said...

Lloyd, I would buy the DVD for sure. I was 15 in 1965 (56 now) and would watch the show just about every day. I lived in Philly and knew some of the American Bandstand regulars, but I always enjoyed the unique humor you brought to the show. I remember seeing Sonny and Cher. I also remember Al Martino not showing up. (Is Al here?)Glad I found your site and hope we'll be hearing about a DVD release soon.

11:15 AM
Anonymous Peter Dhanes said...

I too would like to request a performance that you did on your show if you ever do release something. You lip synched and trumpet synched The point of no return, I still think about it and I am 54 this past Sept.

2:29 PM
Blogger Fred said...

Growing up in SoCal, I remember very clearly being 10 years old in 1966 and watching your show. I would definitely buy your DVD.

1:59 PM
Anonymous Fat Chuck said...

I'm looking for the "On my back, I want Wilson." routine. And also "They got no right, to push and shove us little kids around" - I think that's how it went. So yeah, make SOMETHING available! Please.

7:34 PM
Anonymous Fat Chuck said...

I'm remembering when Sonny Bono gave Lloyd "the vest off his back". I think it was leopard-skin or something. That might have been when Sonny debuted "Laugh At Me" on the show.

7:41 PM
Anonymous Trish Rozhon said...

Lloyd, I would DEFINITELY buy a DVD of your shows. I spent many enjoyable hours watching! By the way, didn't Sonny & Cher first appear on your show as Anthony & Cleopatra?

7:04 PM
Anonymous Sandy said...

How cool to stumble onto this site. I was born in 1955, and in the early 60s as a little kid I remember my teen-age sister dancing in the family room and lip-synching along to the Lloyd Thaxton show.
Constantly.
One specific memory is Lloyd and the crowd started cheering--in 1962 obviously--when Lloyd announced the Dodgers had won the pennant. Of course, they lost that heartbreaking playoff to the Giants, and then Lloyd had to take it back. Remember that?
Count me in as a DVD buyer. For me and my big sister.

6:33 PM
Anonymous Anonymouse said...

I'm glad I Googled your name, Lloyd. That's how I found this site. My youth was spent in L.A. and your show and Mike Bloggett's show from the beach were two vivid memories that live on.
I listened to 93-KHJ and my favorite dj wasn't Humble Harv, but Sam Riddle. Does anyone remember him?
Now, years later, radio and even TV hardly exist. Life has become one long - lying - informercial.
But they can't molest my memories of Lloyd Thaxton! ... "Keep on dan-cin', dan-cin' and a pran-cin, do the jerk now . . . c'ma, c'ma, baby, c'ma on watch me work."
- Dusty Nathan
www.writesight.com/writers/misterwriter111

11:01 AM
Anonymous Dan Fiebiger said...

From: Portland, Oregon

It was in the early 60s, pre-Beatles, when your show was aired on a local Portland, Oregon station for a time (don't remember which one), and I tuned in regularly. I was about 10-11-12 years old.

The most memorable bit for me that you did was "guitar"-synking an instrumental tune called SCRATCHY by Travis Wammack on something that I vaguely recall looked like a souped-up tennis racket combined with the bow of a bow-and-arrow set. An odd looking thing that wasn't intended to fool anyone into thinking it was a real guitar, but was "played" just for visual fun of it.

Lloyd, do you remember that song and "guitar" thing? 1962 or 1963 or so.

You did a pretty precise job of it, too, as I remember. Fun show. Never knew why the local station dropped it, and I missed it when it disappaeared. Am glad a possible DVD might be available. Hope you find the SCRATCHY "guitar" bit on tape and include it on the DVD.

E-mail me when the DVD ever becomes available.

6:48 AM
Blogger suezz said...

I Would definitly buy your DVD!! I loved your show, I was 13...Everyday I watched it.. i remember one in particular for some reason; a skit you were doing: You were wrapping your arms around yourself as you had your back to the camera.lol It looked so real...i don't know why that one sticks in my head..
Suezz

12:00 AM
Blogger suezz said...

oh i forgot, e-mail me when its available at suzie03@adelphia.net

7:13 PM
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lloyd! Hearing you on Rollye James Show tonight brought back memories of watching your show in the 60's! I have sorely missed it for years. I grew up in St. Pete, Florida and if I remember right you were on WFLA Channel 8?
Anyway, if you put out a DVD, I definitely will buy it!
Hope there are thousands of other "boomers" who will too!

Phil Colaianni - playasong@comcast.net
(Sunshine Internet Radio)

8:58 PM
Anonymous said...

Does anyone remember the name of the contest where teens sat in chairs and danced? The silliness of it has always stayed with me. Still makes me laugh.

7:39 AM
Anonymous Frank said...

I remember Lloyd opening one show with a lip-synch of "Cara Mia" by Jay and The Americans. He was wearing a Viking opera singer's outfit,complete with spear and sword -typical Fat Lady outfit belting out Cara Mia- he was hilarious ---

10:46 AM
Blogger Karen said...

the image I have in my head, is you on a swing, on your knees with shoes at your knees, like a little kid. can't recall the song, but you were my favorite show! Watched in Tampa...born in '52...Karen

3:25 PM
Anonymous said...

Lloyd! I'm 55 years old & would love to have DVDs of the show to view with my grandkids! Thank you for being there to entertain me! I truly loved your show! "So what" ;-)

8:50 AM
Anonymous said...

I loved your show! You were a funny guy. I enjoyed your lip-synching. I remembered one time in 1964 you played a Beatles song from "The Music Man" with music only from TV & a local radio station played the words only ("Till They Was You")

5:08 PM
Anonymous Terry Mac said...

Hi Lloyd,Your show may have changed but I started watching in 1968 in the D.C. market and I thought it and you were great. Unlike a lot of shows at the time...it felt "real". I also fell in love with one of your audience girls who lip synched to Vicki Carr's "It Must Be Him"! Sigh. I wouldn't mind another day back there Lloyd! All the best.

8:31 PM
Blogger Nantar said...

I was on your show 3 times in the 60's. It was so funny because my grandmother (at home) was watching the show when I was chosen to lip sync to Petula Clark's song "Round Every Corner". She thought I was really singing! I've told my husband and twin daughters about my experiences on Lloyd Thaxton Show and they would love to see a DVD of some of the shows. Of course, they'd love to see me lip syncing but that show may not be available. Anyway, such great memories from those "dancing" days. I'll keep checking this site to see if a DVD comes out. Thank you for putting up this blog.
Bye for now.

5:40 AM
Blogger jasmyme said...

Hi Lloyd,
I was a dancer on your dance show in the 60's. Me and my high school classmates had a great time. And I was on your show 3 times. My children and grandchildren would really enjoy seeing those tapes. Please put them on DVD.It's a lot of us that want to buy them. Thanks for that time in my life.

6:02 PM
Anonymous said...

Hi Lloyd,

Both my brother and I were on your show several times in 1964 and 1965. My brother even won a pair of "Saturday-Nighters" Please bring back the your shows on DVD!

Steve (Long Beach CA back then)

4:07 PM
Anonymous said...

I'd buy your DVD in a heartbeat.

6:08 PM
Blogger Melissa M said...

Loved the reference to MR. BASSMAN and I also remember The Bird Is the Word being really funny, many appearances of the Righteous Brothers, one with you pretending (?) to goose Bobby Hatfield (RIP) to get those high notes, and for some reason April Stevens and Nino??? singing Deep Purple. I also remember Sonny Bono's fuzzy vest on you. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned Famous Hooks. Was he one of the proposed "co-hosts"? I was in San Diego watching the LA station and never realized there was a national show. Thanks for lots of fun and for giving me the feeling I was part of a bigger teenage experience, not to mention showing me some really cool dance moves.

3:54 PM
Blogger Diane said...

Lloyd, I'm so glad I found you!I've been wanting to see re-runs of The Lloyd Thaxton Show for years...Since it was done live does that mean there are no re-runs available?
I was a faithful watcher of your show from 1965 on. My high school class from Santa Ana Valley was on there in 1966 I believe.
I loved the sit down dancers, lip sinking and finger people! What a great show!
Please let me know where I can purchase a DVD of your show. I would love to see it.

Julie

11:51 AM
Anonymous said...

I can't believe that I found you, I have missed you so much. You were such a big part of my teenage life, and for you to just not be there anymore, was really sad. I loved when you would have the kids lip sync, and of course, your lip syncing as well. What great memories. I'd buy a dvd in a heart beat!!

6:46 PM
Anonymous zackzelmo said...

Hi Lloyd,
I was 10 in 1965. I loved your show. The finger puppets were great (we all tried to get the coordination but somehow couldn't quite do it) However the BEST bit that we used to laugh at was your beat up trumpet. Thanks fro so many wonderful memories of growing up. Yes I would buy the DVD!!!!!!!!!!

2:28 AM
Anonymous The King said...

I was born in 1947 and grew up in So Cal. I watched your show regularly and had some high school friends who appeared on the show once. I hope you put out the DVD...it would be a great gift for one 'boomer to give to another. And I have a saying for you. One I use alot. "The older I get, the more I need to be around people who remember me when I was young". And I just downloaded the 'Go Go's' song 'Bikini Beach' which, of course, pays homage to The LT Show. ROCK ON!

John

10:47 PM
Anonymous The King said...

Oops...that's 'Beatnik Beach'...sorry for the wrong info.

John

10:49 PM
Anonymous said...

Dear Lloyd: I watched your show on a New Bedford and a Boston Station. I got to see yesterdays show again. I thought you & the format were low-budget sensational. I looked forward to watching every day after school. I was 15 in '64. As far as wanting to see reruns. I would definately. If I could not get them thru Netflix, I would buy them. Oh hell, I'd buy them if you released them.
Jim, Austin, Texas

6:32 PM
Anonymous JUDYCATS said...

DEAR LLOYD
I WAS ON THE SHOW EVERY WEEK FOR A LONG TIME. WE WERE FROM MARK KEPPEL HIGH SCHOOL. I REMEMBER LIP SYNCING ON A LADDER TO THE KINGSTON TRIO. I WOULD LOVE TO BUY YOUR DVD FOR MY FAMILY. THOSE WERE THE GOOD OLD DAYS.
JUDY

2:10 PM
Anonymous Larry said...

Hi lloyd
I talk about your show anytime someone brings up music videos.
I loved it --- my favorite was when you had the cardboard cutout of a car for the song "Last Exit to Brooklyn" by Gene pitney. I too would buy a copy!
We miss you!!!!

6:56 PM
Anonymous Edgar F. said...

Hey LLoyd:
Oh I'd love to buy your DVD's. It brings me back great memories of my childhood. Boy did I have fun.
I was in my early teens in those days, I come from a numerous latino family out in Pasadena,CA I had to sneak out
to a neighbor's house in order to watch your show since no one was interested in my family. We barely
spoke English then!
Please le met know when I can purchase your DVD's.
Edgar

3:43 PM
Anonymous Arnold Faber said...

You were a huge part of us in Toronto Canada in those days. I went on to become a pro musician and your show was a big influence. I loved the way you lip-synced Roger Miller's "Trailers For Sale Or Rent"(amongst many others). You exposed us to so much great music!

Why don't you give us a few utube gems to test the waters for DVD interest.

Keep well, all the best!

5:12 AM
Anonymous said...

We miss you Lloyd, I grew laughing at your antics as I was a funny kid that was became a comedy actor and then evolved into becoming a highly sought after comedy Casting Director (department head). In High School the kids said I looked like you which would prompt me doing you. Thanks for the laughs and what you taught us, we remember....stay well.

Mike Hanks
W. Los Angeles

1:58 PM
Anonymous Pete said...

Lloyd, you have to release that DVD! There are thousands of fans who would love to see your show again. I believe in NYC You and Clay Cole had the top two teen shows! Thanks

6:11 PM
Anonymous lordueno37 said...

Hi Lloyd,

I was on your show approximately 5 times during the 60's. One of the things that stands out in my mind was having Donovan sing live. He did Universal Soldier and Catch the Wind. Bo Diddly was on the same show. It was the "Gidget Era"
and So Cal was the place to be. I went to reunion show a few years ago and it sure brought back great memories. Please get that DVD out. It would be super popular. I'd buy a box set. Wayne from Taft High

11:00 AM
OpenID aikenjf said...

Dear Lloyd,

Like another writer in this queue, I too, was wondering what happened to you. Thank God for Google.
What a great story about the brass. So true.
I grew up in Philly, and KYW, then a Westinghouse station, aired your show at 5p every day. As a kid whose sister used to dance on American Bandstand when it was a local show, I can appreciate the story you told about Jimmy Dean.
My brothers and i used to watch your show and really enjoyed the lip-synchs, and I recall you were a big hit in our High School.
No offense to the folks from SOCAL, but Bandstand went downhill when it left Philly, for the same reasons you outlined about your own show. Your show became a replacement for Bandstand for us a a lot of our friends.
I think these comment should tell you -- there's a market for you on DVD. Thanks for the memories and all the laughs/
Jonathan

9:14 AM
Blogger jamingram said...

Hi Lloyd -
Thank you for this web site!!! Your show was a "trail blazer". I would love it if you had DVD's available. I danced on your show many times. A group of us from Mark Keppel High School in Alhambra used to go frequently. My grandkids would love to see the good ol' days. Please make them available. Forever grateful for those days.
Luv to you,
Betty

Stay tuned

8 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

So, Uncle Lloyd, are you trying to tell us something here? WHEN IS THE RELEASE DATE??
NEXT!
Gary

5:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recall vaguely seeing your show, but I do recall it fondly! I would like to add my 2 bits worth - if you include any Gene Pitney footage, I'm there! I'll buy it. I love the TV shows from the '60's and try to collect as many as I can afford.

Dan H.

5:25 AM

 
Blogger Michele said...

Mr. Thaxton; I would love your DVD! I hope it has the 'Cara Mia' one on it. I remember both my brothers and friends coming home and laughing about it (was the talk sensation for quite a while) and I missed it. Blessings.......

7:56 PM

 
Blogger Penny said...

Lloyd,
What happened to my requests for your video? Many of our alumni were on your shows in the'60's. My Santa Fe High School 40th Reunion (joint '67 and '68) will be held Aug. 23, 2008 at the Embassy Suites, Anaheim South, and I've been bugging you to get a video of your old shows out for over a year, now. I asked for it even before you announced plans to MAKE one!
You, like award winning surfer Corky Carroll of the Orange County Register, bring back the feel of being young and 'crazy' to us baby boomers of Southern California. We'd love to show (and sell!) your video at the party, and are anxiously awaiting it's release.
For once, please don't say "So What?" Please say "When"!
Penny

9:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a Lloyd Thaxton story for you. I used to work for a large national broadcasting company in New York. One headquartered in a tall granite building with a gold statue in front and -seasonally- an ice rink and large tree too. You know the place.
My ex- used to work there as well. She was an aficionado of '60's kiddie and dance shows. Hearing your name in the context of something or other, she did a little research and handed me the little black loose-leaf binder that held the company's internal telephone directory.
She pulled the tab for "T" and found you.
In of all places, Burbank, CA.
Hope you release the DVD shortly.
Sounds like fun!

12:46 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Thaxton:

I thought the Theme song from your game show, "Funny You Should Ask" was so cool.

Where can I get a copy or download of it?
Kevin Van Meter
Boxing Ring Announcer
NY Daily News Golden Gloves
Madison Square Garden
kevinvanmeter@optonline.net

5:12 PM

 
Blogger blondex said...

My husband was one of the teens that danced on the show, there was an episode where he was selected to lip sync If I had a hammer, the guest were Lagarde Twins.

can someone help me find this episode.

thanks

8:14 PM

 
Anonymous stacksandstacks coupons said...

It is great to have the opportunity to read a good quality article with useful information on topics.
Thanks

”stacksandstacks coupons”

5:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home