Stories and insight in the world of showbiz and beyond.

Sunday, October 07, 2007

WHO ARE ALL THESE PEOPLE? THE ANSWERS

About a week ago I put nine pictures up for identification. These pictures were of guests I had on The Lloyd Thaxton Show and I had asked that my Mouse Cliquers write their answers in the comment section.

I started with the picture at the top of the page. I thought this was a tough one, but everyone got it right away (How? I’ll never know). Of all the pictures I have, this one is closest to my heart. It’s a picture of a club my mom and dad belonged to at their church in Toledo, Ohio (That’s the Collingwood Methodist Church in the background). All the people you see in the picture were close friends of my parents and I grew up knowing each and every one of them.

This particular day, they had asked the younger members of the group to bring their kids so they could be included in the picture. I was working that day at WSPD-TV and couldn’t attend. But, my mom wanted me to be in the picture. So, just before the photographer clicked the shutter, she whipped out a small photo of me and held it so I would be included in the photograph. Is that neat or what?

(1)
The picture of me was so small who would of thought it would ever be noticed. I discovered it only a few years ago myself. And, I did that, by using a magnifying glass. What a great mom I had. She just wouldn’t let me be excluded from the larger photograph. That’s my dad just above her to the right, partially hidden by the women with the hat.

And everybody who entered this (prizeless) contest got it. My mom would be so thrilled.

(2)
Everyone also got this one. Johnny Rivers. He had just finished performing “Secret Agent Man.” Johnny was a regular guest on the show and is a good friend. He shared my enthusiasm for Motorcycles and I spent many a night at the Whisky A-Go-Go on Sunset Boulevard, watching him rock the night away.

(4)
One of my other favorite guests (there were many) was Petula Clark. She was so uplifting (I didn’t have to wear lifts to stand next to her) and talented. Petula was presented with her Grammy that day for “I Know A Place,” right on the show. What an honor.

(5)
Bobby “Boris” Picket was on the show almost every Halloween performing his monster hit, “The Monster Mash.” What a fun person he was. His fans loved him.

(6)
Yes, this is, “The Real Don Steele” (without glasses). In my opinion, Don was the best radio DJ in his time. He once said of the 60s sound, “Look, you take the Motown sound and the British Invasion and you throw in Elvis and Roy Orbison, and you have a music mix that's hard to beat at any time or any place."

The picture is from a KHJ radio Top 30 promotion booklet. I had asked him on the show to identify Tina Delgodo (is ALIVE! … ALIVE!). He wouldn’t say. Don died in 1997 and he took the mystery with him. Not even his wife knew. Long live “The Real Don Steele.”

(7)
You are right. This is Bobby Vee. He had a lot of top 10 hits and was a wonderful guest.

(8)
More fun than a barrel of monkeys, is a stage full of Turtles. I always looked forward to, not only their talent, but also their sense of humor. A fan once said of me, “When I first started watching your show I thought you were making fun of Rock and Roll. Then I discovered you were making Rock and Roll fun.” The Turtles were a big part of that fun. They are still performing all across the country.

(9)
Finally, we have Little Anthony & The Imperials. “Little” was a key word to use with young artists of the 60s. Little Anthony, Little Richard, Little Stevie Wonder and others grew out of their names, but stayed on to keep their fans enthralled. Actually I was “Little Lloyd Thaxton,” but I never grew out of it.

OK, that’s it. Thanks to all who entered my … WAIT! WAIT!




WHAT HAPPENED TO #3 ???

Well, it seems #3 is still an unsolved mystery. When I found this picture in my files, it had “Martha and the Vandellas” written on it. However, forty years later, I’m just not too sure of that anymore.

Why? It is the only picture on the list that had so many different answers. The Toys, The Chiffons, The Cookies, Martha and the Vandellas, The Jaynettes, and Bob B. Soxx & The Blue Jeans.

I’ve Googled pictures of all these groups and just can’t reach a conclusion. I even tried Wikipedia with no luck.

Martha, are you still out there? Any Vandellas around that can break this impasse? How about it, Jaynettes? Or, a Toy, perhaps? Cookies, anyone?

Stay tuned.

33 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

I LOVE THESE GAMES!! I know I'm wrong on one or two, but I'll try anyway:

1. lady holding photo of LLOYD THAXTON
2. Johnny Rivers
3. The Toys
4. Petula Clark
5. Bobby "Boris" Pickett
6. Dave Berry
7. Bobby Vee
8. The Turtles
9. Little Anthony & The Imperials

NEXT!
Gary
Duluth, MN

6:08 PM

 
Blogger Lloyd Thaxton said...

Oh Gary:

Sorry. No cigar.

NEXT!

Lloyd
Los Angeles, California

8:59 PM

 
Blogger Gary said...

That's okay, Uncle Lloyd. I don't smoke anyway. HA HA
NEXT!
Gary

4:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Picture of Lloyd.
2. Johnny Rivers
3. Chiffons
4. Pet Clark
5. Bobby Boris Pickett
6. Real Don Steele
7. Bobby Vee
8. Turtles
9. Little Anthony

Tim Ahern
Culver City

8:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lloyd:
> These picture games are the most fun! Here's my guesses.
>
> 1.Thaxton Family and Mom Thaxton holding photo of here baby boy Lloyd

> T.
> 2. Johnny Rivers & Lloyd Thaxton
> 3. The Toys & Lloyd T.
> 4. Petula Clark & Lloyd T.
> 5. Bobby Boris Pickett
> 6. Real Don Steele & Lloyd T.
> 7. Bobby Vee & Lloyd T.
> 8. The Turtles & Lloyd T.
> 9. Little Anthony & The Imperials
>
> D.J. Blast (Blas Vallejo)
> Highland, CA

8:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about the others but the picture of Petula Clark STILL does it for me!

rrowr!
td

8:22 AM

 
Blogger Lloyd Thaxton said...

Mouse Cliquers:

Help me out here. Concentrate on #3. There is a major question as to who these people really are. Toys? Chiffons? Other? I have "Other."

Take your time.

Da da da da da da da da (music from "The Twilight Zone).

Name that group!

Lloyd

9:29 AM

 
Blogger Gary said...

I think I have the right answer for #3, Uncle Lloyd! Do we get second chances here?
Gary

4:35 PM

 
Blogger Lloyd Thaxton said...

Gary:

You can take as many chances as you want. Tell me about #3.

Lloyd

10:01 PM

 
Blogger Gary said...

WOO HOO!!
Well, number 6 is the Real Don Steele, as mentioned by Tim, but I'm thinking that #3 is Martha & The Vandellas....
NEXT!
Gary

4:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lloyd:

I just thought I'd send you this link to help you out with the mystery of The Toys vs Martha & The Vandellas. This looks pretty convincing to me that the Toys have the edge over the other group but you'll have to decide that for yourself.

Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3cwwXujxNI&NR=1

Have fun! Sincerely Blas (The Blast) Vallejo

9:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. the lady holding photo of Uncle Lloyd is his mother
2. Johnny Rivers
3. The Cookies
4. Petula Clark
5. Bobby "Boris" Pickett
6. The Real Don Steele
7. Bobby Vee
8. The Turtles
9. Little Anthony & The Imperials

11:34 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Lloyd's mother
2. Johnny Rivers
3. Martha and the Vandellas
4. Petula Clark
5. Bobby "Boris" Pickett
6. The Real Don Steele
7. Bobby Vee
8. The Turtles
9. Little Anthony & The Imperials

John
Houston, TX

10:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that the key phrase at the beginning is "Naming the person in that picture", so therefore, #1 would be:

1. Lloyd Thaxton
2. Johnny Rivers
Since the faces in #3 are not easily recognizable, and the picture appears to have been taken on the set, it obviously isn't an A-list girl group like the Supremes or Shirrelles, so in the interest of "having been thrown off-course", I will guess #3 as:
3. The Jaynettes (Sally Go 'Round The Roses)
4. Petula Clark
5. Bobby "Boris" Pickett
The only person #6 remotely looks like to me (remember, the Real Don Steele wore glasses) is:
6. Kenneth Mars
7. Bobby Vee
8. The Turtles
9. Little Anthony & The Imperials

Those are my guesses and I'm sticking to them.

-dg- LA, Ca.

5:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Lloyd in the photo within the picture (thanks, Dave)
2. Johnny Rivers
3. Martha and the Vandellas (must be)
4. Petula Clark
5. Bobby "Boris" Pickett
6. The Real Don Steele (didn't always wear glasses)
7. Bobby Vee
8. The Turtles, Mark and Howard
9. Little Anthony & The Imperials

John
Houston, TX

1:46 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

1.) The Lady Holding the Picture of Lloyd is his mother.
2.) Johnny Rivers
3.) The Toys
4.) Petula Clark
5.) Bobby "Boris" Pickett
6.) The Real Don Steele
7.) Bobby Vee
8.) The Turtles
9.) Little Anothny & the Imperials


Trivia: One of the members of the Turtles would eventually go back to college and earn a B.A. from Loyola Marymount University in the early 1990's.

Also, one curious question:

Did that marvelous Motown girl group, the Marvelettes, ever perform on your show?

9:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Upon further review, my Jaynettes guess is admittedly a grasping at straws guess. Lloyd says that there is a question about #3, hinting that there's more to this than just who they are.

That would leave "what they are", which would be 3 attractive young ladies, and what's in the picture?

I'm pretty certain that they are not a Motown girl group because Berry Gordy employed fashion consultants to maximize the "look" of all of his performers, and when it came to the girl groups, pants were mostly a no-no. I can only remember the Supremes wearing pants on rare occassions, and never jeans, as these girls appear to be wearing.

So perhaps, and my speculation is no more expert than anyone else's, if these girls are wearing blue jeans, then #3 maybe, could be:

Bob B. Soxx & The Blue Jeans.

After 50+ years on this planet, I know that life is chock full of surprises, but I still don't think that #6 is The Real Don Steele. In addition to wearing glasses (I never saw him without them publicly), he had much lighter hair than the gentleman in question has here. I could be wrong, but as a regular viewer of Lloyd's show back in the 60s, I don't remember him having LA DJs' as guests.

My Kenneth Mars guess is probably wrong, but it could have been taken about the time that the original film version of "The Producers", which he appeared in, and quite hilariously, was released, and maybe he was on a promotion tour.

Sorry to go on so long.

Looking forward to the answers.

8:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Further Googling has shown that #3 is not Bob B. Soxx & The Blue Jeans.

Never mind.

We now return you to your regular blog comments.

Maintaining radio silence.

9:54 PM

 
Blogger Mike Barer said...

The only one that I can guess on is Johnny Rivers. number 2.
Mike
Maple Valley, Wa

9:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still have leftover crow from the UCLA-Notre Dame game and yesterday's Chargers-Raiders game. I might as well have an extra serving courtesy of #6.

A radio blogger may have the answer to the Tina Delgado mystery:

www.billearl.blogspot.com

If Bill doesn't know, no one does.

You can rest assured #3 is NOT Bob B. Soxx & The Blue Jeans. That group consisted of one man & two women.

Crow is pretty good with Bar-B-Que sauce.

5:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Head Cheese,

I think that number 3 might be the original "BLOSSOMS" .... who sang on your album with yours truly.

Love ya pal.
Billy

5:51 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

LLOYD,.....HI THAT GIRLGROUP IN THE B/W ARE THE TOYS 1965. AND NOT MARTHA REEVES & THE VANDELLAS?! PHILLIP.

6:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if this helps, or not, but to help pin it down, the girls in #3 are not the King Sisters.

duke

6:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

#3 is Martha and the Vandellas. The tall, thin woman who is not smiling is Martha.

Of course, I do not wish to contradict the genius guitarist and arranger, Billy Strange (do you have a blog?), but I know Martha when I see her.

3:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lloyd's beautiful daughter, Jennifer, can be seen here singing "Crazy."

She clowns a bit (in a very Lloyd Thaxton manner) before the song begins.

It's a delightful concert performance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pcgaaFOhEc

4:05 PM

 
Blogger Chuck Hinson said...

Yeah, I've been away awhile (the sentence was shortened and ...); actually I've been bogged down with work.
Lloyd, I just emailed Martha to get a final word on this pic #3. From their facial structures and posture, I'd almost bet they WERE M&theV. (Besides, look at the thankfulness and humility on the lead singer's face! Martha has always had those qualities)
I gave her your blog addy so SHE can respond ...
Incidentally, someone mentioned the COOKIES (non-internet, non-bakeable). These were the ones who backed Little Eva Boyd on Loco-Motion.
One more maybe-help: Go to http://surf.to/girlgroups. Whoever does this site has scads of girl-group photos. Might help.
I'm stickin' with Martha, unless she says otherwise. If it's NOT her, she'll clue you/me/us in on who it is, I'm sure ...

11:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the Utube site from annonymous, and watched Jennifer singing Crazy. I had not heard her till now. She is GREAT. She sings with good pitch, too, which is lacking in so many singers nowadays.

It seems like "genes" will come out. If Jennifer had white hair and a beard, she would look a lot like Lloyd.

duke

11:40 AM

 
Blogger Gary said...

I was just watching one of my old TOYS videos and pic #3 is DEFINITELY The Toys.
NEXT!
Gary

2:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Lloyd -- This photo is of the Toys. JD

11:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lloyd:
I represent Little Anthony & The Imperials and we are awaiting word regarding their induction into the Rock And Roll HOF. I understand the announcement as to who will be inducted in 2009 will be on 1/23rd.
Also, Anthony who now lives in Las Vegas writes a weekly column for an online site - vegascommunityonline.com and click on their new site as well littleanthonyandtheimperials.net

7:39 AM

 
Anonymous raege thaxton said...

hi there. i was just searchin my name and i came accross u. i'm raegen thaxton by the way. im pretty sure u dont know me but u could be related to me :D anyways i live in west virginia. im 12. and my dad is clifton thaxton. i wasn't sure if u cared...but i posted anyways :3

4:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely the "Toys"

8:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sister appeared on the Lloyd Thaxton show
around 1962/63, singing two songs using the name TINA YOUNG. One song she sang, Goodnight My Love, Decca/Denny Records. My sister passed away about 20 years ago. I would like to know if a copy of that show exists and if so, if I could get a copy. Thank you for your help.
Ernie G. Rauda erauda2@aol.com 714-514-0704 cell

12:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home