Stories and insight in the world of showbiz and beyond.

Friday, February 15, 2008

THE YouTube GENERATION GAP (UP-DATE)

Tuesday, February 19th, I lectured before the “Music, Television and American Culture” class at the University of Southern California (USC). It was my third appearance in an equal amount of years and, as before, it was a great experience. I learned how wonderful students can be when I did my show in the 60s. This talk was no different, enforcing my theory that if you give respect, you get respect back. These students were awesome (to borrow their own phrase).


The class is taught by Jon Burlingame, the nation’s leading writer on the subject of music for films and television. Jon writes regularly for The New York Times and Daily Variety and has written several best selling books on the subject. He is also the owner of 5 Lloyd Thaxton Dawks. What a guy.

My lecture was “Making Recorded Music Visual For Television.” One thing that fascinates me about this class is that the average age is 21 years, which means that the oldest student in the class was born 20 YEARS AFTER my show went off the air. They had no idea who I was (unless their parents mentioned me) and it was great fun trying to win them over. My favorite comment from a student after my first talk was, “I hope when I graduate I will get a job as fun as yours.” There is a comment below, left by a student who was at the lecture, that made my day. The reason why, just like the Energizer bunny, I keep going and going.

This is the Internet generation we’re talking about (and talking to) here. The same kids who kick-started YouTube’s success with their amateurish lip-syncing to records. Not unlike the amateurish lip-syncing I started out with on my show. The difference is these YouTube performances were viewed by more people than any of my attempts on my first show. However, lucky for me, videotape was invented (Al Gore?), national syndication followed and television career opportunities, including mine, grew to enormous proportions.

And, lucky for these students, the Internet is going to do the same thing for them, opening up an exciting future for all in the communication arts. I loved being able to discuss these future possibilities with these young show business entrepreneurs of tomorrow.

Actually, when you come to think about it, there is no generation gap here at all.


SORRY THAT THIS WON'T PLAY.
IT'S JUST A MOCK-UP FOR THINGS TO COME

But ...

Stay tuned.

7 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

He's got FIVE Dawks? I WANT ONE!!
Maybe, when the DVDs come out, they can be re-sold(?), re-issued, or whatever.......OR perhaps a special purchase with DVDs only?
I'm going to check ebay right now...maybe I'll get lucky.
NEXT!
Gary

7:23 PM

 
Blogger Mike Barer said...

I think that the hit show Laugh-In may have borrowed from your sight gags. Instead of the Dawk doll, they used a body.

9:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I attended this lecture, and it was awesome! I wasn't around in the '60s- I'm 22, but my dad used to watch your show. I'm definitely looking forward to your DVD coming out.

12:50 AM

 
Blogger Lloyd Thaxton said...

To Gary:

Good idea about re-offering the Dawk when the DVD comes out.

To Mike:

You're right. They used Goldie Hawn. Wow Wow Wow.

To Anonymouse:

You made my day. Thanks for your comment.

Stay tuned

10:30 AM

 
Blogger Chuck Hinson said...

Been away on assignments. Sorry for the delay! Now ... where WERE we??
Who WOULDN'T want a Dawk? Or Goldie HAWN if one wasn't available?
I can tell ya that your DVD is EAGERLY awaited on BOTH sides of the drink, if my RelicMail's any indication!

More later. Gotta do some tape editing of my own before daybreak.

ROCK ON, DAWKMASTER (AND CLIQUERS! I MISS YA!!)

The Ever-Lovin' (well, not LATELY .. that "get lucky" threw me ...)
ROCK RELIC

1:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow... I can't wait for the Lloyd Thaxton DVD. Please let me know when it comes out!
Carol

5:20 AM

 
Blogger Mike Barer said...

Speaking of Laugh In, It's interesting how that show became obsolete in a matter of years, while SNL keeps chugging along after 30 some years. One reason is because Laugh In was a prime time show as opposed to SNL being in the late Saturday night spot where rating are allowed to fluctuate, but I think there is more. I may cover that eventually on my blog.

1:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home