Stories and insight in the world of showbiz and beyond.

Monday, May 21, 2007

KEEP THOSE CARDS AND RESIDUALS COMING


One of the joys of being in show biz is going to your mailbox and discovering one of those big residual checks. The size of the check is sometimes the difference between buying that new Mercedes or starving to death, “Get me to the bank on time.”

For the uninitiated, a residual check is what you receive when a show, a series, a commercial, etc., etc., etc., keeps up with the energizer bunny and just keeps on going. If it goes long enough and the checks are big enough, you will never have to work in this town again.

Just how long do those checks keep on going? Does the word “FOREVER” strike a familiar note? It does to me.


Back in 1964 I starred in a movie. Well … em … I really didn’t STAR in a movie. It’s more like I STAR-TED in a movie. It was “The Patsy.” And, Jerry Lewis was the star. Actually, truth be known, for me it wasn’t even a start. A “start” signifies that you start and then kept going. “The Patsy” was my “start’n stop.” As far as movies are concerned, it was my hit song and swan song in one number.

But, here we are some 40 plus years later and those big “The Patsy” residual checks just keep rolling in, allowing me to survive in this town for at least another hour. I was so proud of my last check that, instead of cashing it, I had it framed. Not exactly because of the tremendous amount the check represented, but for the fact that after all those years, Paramount Pictures persevered and made sure I got it. Forget that it was sent to an address I hadn’t lived at for 40 years, we big movie stars have The Screen Actors Guild to guide these most deserved checks to our huge new mansions.

This tenacity in tracing lost personalities is the good part. The not-so-good part is that over the years those remittances do get depressingly smaller and smaller. I suspect that more money was spent on search and rescue, than the value of the check itself.

Take my check for example. That’s not $6009.00 one sees in the “pay amount” line. That is $6.09. The frame I put it in cost $14.99 (plus tax).

I love receiving these checks. They bring back fond memories of the great fun I had working with my idol Jerry Lewis. He made me feel like a movie star and still does by sending those checks. Thank you Jerry.

Someone should write a song.

“There’s no business like show business like no business I know.”

And they should get a really big gal singer to sing it really loud.

Stay tuned.

6 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA......I love it! I wonder how come I never receive any royalty checks for the movie I was in? Me? I was in a movie called FOOLIN' AROUND with Gary Busey, Annette O'Toole, Eddie Albert, Cloris Leachman, Tony Randall, etc. Well, no.....I didn't have a speaking line (reason enough for NO residual checks for me!) but I am a GREAT "face in the crowd" for a couple of minutes!
I tell ya, Uncle Lloyd, it ain't easy being a "star" where you live, where I live, or where ANYBODY lives!
NEXT!
Gary

4:59 PM

 
Blogger Mike Barer said...

Being famous has it's perks!! Knowing someone famous ain't bad either.

10:37 PM

 
Blogger Gaylel said...

Dang Lloyd, Paramont or Viacom or CBS or whomever they are are still sending you those royalties after all those years and televison showings?

I was surprized they send you a check of a lower amount. I thought that they would send you at least a substantial amount. But that's the biz, isn't it?

But at least you are getting something for that hard work.

--Gayle

1:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O, I CAN'T WAIT for the DVD to come out!!! How I hunger for the nostalgic thrills that will come with it! The Lloyd Thaxton Show was a huge part of my young life, along with that of my sister, brother and friends. Yeah, I was only 10 years old at the time, but most of us know that is a hugely impressionable period.

3:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVED to watch you in the 60's!
I was searching online just to see what ever happened to you!
Fun seeing the old clips from the show!
Brings back nice memories of my childhood!

Blessings,
Janice

5:55 PM

 
Blogger Mickey said...

Good morning Mr. Thaxton. I really enjoy reading all of these blogs. I am not sure if this message will get to you but I'll try. I have been trying for several years to find out how to get in touch with you. The reason is , my brother was on your show and was chosen to do a lip sync segment. I am trying to find out if it is possible to obtain the tape of the show he appeared in. Frankie Lane was the guest star and the show was in late 1962 or early 1963. My brother did Mr. Base Man with a friend. I wanted to surprise my brother for many reasons, but mainly because he has given so much in his career as a High School Teacher in Southern California, including donating one of his lungs to a student. I wanted to find something special to give back to him. I hope this reaches you and if you would advise me if the show tapes are available. Best wishes, Mickey

6:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home